Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» CARBON BONNETS AND AERO PARTS FROM CARBON TEKNICS
Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:17 am by samurex31

» WTS - Ultra Gauge EM ver 1.2 (New)
Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:13 pm by Raiijin

» RainAway Nano-tech Glass Coating Treatment
Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:22 am by GT35R

» Honto Racing - A chance to win an IPAD2 when you purchase LUKAS, FINEVu or MIR Blackbox!
Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:35 pm by hontoracing

» Online dating for business women. Dating mabie.
Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:26 pm by Guest

» Dating nancy. Ovation dating guitar.
Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:09 pm by Guest

» Newbie in the forum
Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:23 pm by Guest

» Auto Tran's Problems?
Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:07 pm by win

» Name for Sg Bravo Forum
Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:55 pm by chinalim

Social bookmarking
Bookmark and share the address of Singapore Bravo Forum on your social bookmarking website
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Affiliates
free forum

Service Interval?

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Re: Service Interval?

Post  MXF on Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:52 am

ckboon wrote:I think ...

Oil will break down due to heat, long usage, etc. That's why you need to change the oil after 10,000km for synthetic oil or every 5,000km for mineral oil.

Engine drinks oil means there is a gap between the piston & cylinder. Oil seeps into the chamber and gets burnt together with petrol. Tell tale sign would be blue smoke coming out of the exhaust. This is usually happens when owners do not take care of their cars i.e. didn't change oil or skip regular servicing.

However, my ex 147 twin spark engine likes to drink oil. I need to top up every 5,000km or so. It is a characteristics of twin spark engines.

i hear ya, boon.
omd2k...care to explain? i oso believe oil will break down when subjected to prolonged heat...which is exactly that of a turbo engine.

MXF
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2008-03-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  omd2k on Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:47 am

i hear ya, boon.
omd2k...care to explain? i oso believe oil will break down when subjected to prolonged heat...which is exactly that of a turbo engine.[/quote]

All oils no matter what their type are made of long chained molecules which get sheared into shorter chains into the running engine. Of coz oil will los its viscosity over time and it uses up the additives in it that prevent scuffing between cams and followers,rings and cylinder walls etc. When this happen, fresh oil is the key. Dun worry abt engine oil turning black, it will lose its golden colour within few hundred miles, that doesn't mean it's not working, instead it means it is working well. It changes colour as it traps oxidised oil, clots and the flakes of metal that pop off heavily loaded engine parts. Using 5w-40 ensures good cold starting and quick circulation. The optimum time for changing oil can be judged by 1) number of cold starts(more condensation in a cold engine) 2) Ambient temperature(how long before warm enuff to stop serious condensation)3) Effectiveness of crank 4) state of wear of engine 5) accuracy of carburation during warm up(extra gook produced) 6) distance travelled. VW, Audi,Saab and Toyota all have complaints of sludge problems regardless of maintenance or mileage. It is due to alot of cold starts. So make sure u warm up your engine before moving off everyday.

omd2k

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2008-03-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  omd2k on Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:08 am

omd2k wrote:i hear ya, boon.
omd2k...care to explain? i oso believe oil will break down when subjected to prolonged heat...which is exactly that of a turbo engine.

Motor Oil Breakdown What really Causes It?

First off, all oil breaks down. That generally will include basestocks and additives. Without focusing on performance characteristics, the most significant difference from one oil to another is how quickly breakdown occurs. Although there are many factors that contribute to the breakdown of an oil, heat is one of the most important. Depletion and decreased effectiveness of oil additives is also important, but that will be discussed later.

Petroleum oil begins to break-down almost immediately. A high quality synthetic, on the other hand, can last for many thousands of miles without any significant reduction in performance or protection characteristics. Synthetics designed from the right combination of basestocks and additives can last almost indefinitely with the right filtration system.

As alluded to above, the first major difference between petroleum and synthetic oil is heat tolerance. Flash point is the temperature at which an oil gives off vapors that can be ignited with a flame held over the oil. The lower the flash point the greater tendency for the oil to suffer vaporization loss at high temperatures and to burn off on hot cylinder walls and pistons.

The flash point can be an indicator of the quality of the base stock used. The higher the flash point the better. 400 degrees F is the absolute MINIMUM to prevent possible high consumption.

Today's engines are expected to put out more power from a smaller size and with less oil than engines of the past. Therefore, the engines run much hotter than they used to. That puts an increased burden on the oil.

Even the best petroleum oils will have flash points only as high as 390 and 440 degrees F. Some actually have flashpoints as low as 350 degrees. For today's hot running engines, this is not nearly enough protection. Just about any synthetic you come across will have a flashpoint over 440 degrees. Premium synthetics can have flashpoints over 450 degrees with some even reaching as high as 500 degrees. That's a big difference.

As a result, I think that it's quite obvious that these high- tech oils offer a substantial benefit when it comes to potential breakdown due to burn-off. Nevertheless, even though synthetics are MUCH less prone to burn-off than are petroleum oils, there is still some burn-off during extremely high temperature operation.

Thus, it becomes important to discuss the manner in which petroleum and synthetic oils burn off. As a refined product, petroleum oil molecules are of varying sizes. Thus, as a petroleum oil heats up, the smaller, lighter molecules begin to burn off first.

Since the ash content in many petroleum oils is higher than synthetics, deposits and sludge are left behind to coat the inside of your engine. Detergent and dispersant additives are used to keep these deposits to a minimum, but only so much can be done. Unless you're changing a petroleum oil every 2,000 to 3,000 miles some deposits are going to be left behind.

In addition, as smaller particles burn off, the larger, heavier molecules are all that is left to protect the engine. Unfortunately, these larger particles do not flow nearly as well and tend to blanket the components of your engine which only exacerbates the heat problem.

Synthetic oils, on the other hand, because they are not purified, but rather designed within a lab for lubrication purposes, are comprised of molecules of uniform size and shape. Therefore, even if a synthetic oil does burn a little, the remaining oil has the nearly the same chemical characteristics that it had before the burn off. There are no smaller molecules to burn-off and no heavier molecules to leave behind.

Moreover, many synthetics have very low ash content and little if any impurity. As a result, if oil burn-off does occur, there is little or no ash left behind to leave sludge and deposits on engine surfaces. Obviously, this leads to a cleaner burning, more fuel efficient engine.

As a side note (as it really has little bearing on when to change your oil), synthetics do a much better job of "cooling" engine components during operation. Because of their unique flow characteristics, engine components are likely to run 10 to 30 degrees cooler than with petroleum oils. This is important, because the hotter the components in your engine get, the more quickly they break down.

omd2k

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MXF on Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:49 pm

omd2k wrote:All oils no matter what their type are made of long chained molecules which get sheared into shorter chains into the running engine. Of coz oil will los its viscosity over time and it uses up the additives in it that prevent scuffing between cams and followers,rings and cylinder walls etc. When this happen, fresh oil is the key. Dun worry abt engine oil turning black, it will lose its golden colour within few hundred miles, that doesn't mean it's not working, instead it means it is working well. It changes colour as it traps oxidised oil, clots and the flakes of metal that pop off heavily loaded engine parts. Using 5w-40 ensures good cold starting and quick circulation. The optimum time for changing oil can be judged by 1) number of cold starts(more condensation in a cold engine) 2) Ambient temperature(how long before warm enuff to stop serious condensation)3) Effectiveness of crank 4) state of wear of engine 5) accuracy of carburation during warm up(extra gook produced) 6) distance travelled. VW, Audi,Saab and Toyota all have complaints of sludge problems regardless of maintenance or mileage. It is due to alot of cold starts. So make sure u warm up your engine before moving off everyday.

omd2k...u contradicting leh.
u mentioned before ur stilo 10K the oil still purplish...
but now u say the oil turn black then good, shows that it is working.
so u meant ur stilo abnormal?
i know engine oil turn black is good sign that it is lubricating the engine well, it is sludging that is more of a concern.
so u oso mentioned above that there are engine particles etc tat will deposit in the engine oil right?
then how come u tell me wun when u said 1K dun need change oil?

hmm....contradictory leh.... Razz

MXF
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MXF on Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:52 pm

and why u reco warm up the engine before driving off?
the manual say that is a major NO-NO leh!!! Razz study

we should start engine, and just move off....and try to not hard rev for the initial few km.....until the engine warms up sufficiently....

having it in a standstill in the car park and warming it up is instead very bad leh.....according to the manual too....

u got study ?? Razz

the manual oso say try to move off 1st gear and not engage reverse when cold engine....best for effciency it says..... Razz

MXF
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  omd2k on Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:37 pm

MXF wrote:
omd2k wrote:All oils no matter what their type are made of long chained molecules which get sheared into shorter chains into the running engine. Of coz oil will los its viscosity over time and it uses up the additives in it that prevent scuffing between cams and followers,rings and cylinder walls etc. When this happen, fresh oil is the key. Dun worry abt engine oil turning black, it will lose its golden colour within few hundred miles, that doesn't mean it's not working, instead it means it is working well. It changes colour as it traps oxidised oil, clots and the flakes of metal that pop off heavily loaded engine parts. Using 5w-40 ensures good cold starting and quick circulation. The optimum time for changing oil can be judged by 1) number of cold starts(more condensation in a cold engine) 2) Ambient temperature(how long before warm enuff to stop serious condensation)3) Effectiveness of crank 4) state of wear of engine 5) accuracy of carburation during warm up(extra gook produced) 6) distance travelled. VW, Audi,Saab and Toyota all have complaints of sludge problems regardless of maintenance or mileage. It is due to alot of cold starts. So make sure u warm up your engine before moving off everyday.

omd2k...u contradicting leh.
u mentioned before ur stilo 10K the oil still purplish...
but now u say the oil turn black then good, shows that it is working.
so u meant ur stilo abnormal?
i know engine oil turn black is good sign that it is lubricating the engine well, it is sludging that is more of a concern.
so u oso mentioned above that there are engine particles etc tat will deposit in the engine oil right?
then how come u tell me wun when u said 1K dun need change oil?

hmm....contradictory leh.... Razz

Coz my stilo although coming two years only 34k mileage. Yes i mentioned it will lose its golden colour within few hundred miles. So it means i haven been travelling that much but if i'm still driving my jap car, i would have seen that the oil is black by now. Maybe it's the euro4 engine keeping it clean. It will gradually turn black but not as fast as euro2 n 3 emission. It's cleaner so taking longer period, so even when it turn black, still ok to drive what. U dun expect it to turn black so fast after 1k. Why juz can't u accept my reasoning? Everything i says, u will disagree. R u biased against the brand or me? Or would u kindly give me a better explanation on how it works? I'm not a mechanic or engineer but i try my best to share with u my experience with euro4 emission of my car and thru my research. Extracts from the engine oil research recommended to warmup, manufacturer say no need. This i cannot answer u. Both got their own reasonings. How la deh?

omd2k

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  omd2k on Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:43 pm

MXF wrote:and why u reco warm up the engine before driving off?
the manual say that is a major NO-NO leh!!! Razz study

we should start engine, and just move off....and try to not hard rev for the initial few km.....until the engine warms up sufficiently....

having it in a standstill in the car park and warming it up is instead very bad leh.....according to the manual too....

u got study ?? Razz

the manual oso say try to move off 1st gear and not engage reverse when cold engine....best for effciency it says..... Razz

Even the mechanics would recommend to warmup before moving off. That is of coz if in the morning where the engine is v cold...if daytime, stop n park then move off of coz no need to warmup. If i dun warm up my stilo, the rpm will be v high in the morning, do u notice that jap cars temp is slightly below 90 degrees and european is abt 100 degrees, the hotter the better. Do anyone really read thru the manual thoroughly to know the car?

omd2k

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MXF on Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:45 pm

omd2k wrote:Coz my stilo although coming two years only 34k mileage. Yes i mentioned it will lose its golden colour within few hundred miles. So it means i haven been travelling that much but if i'm still driving my jap car, i would have seen that the oil is black by now. Maybe it's the euro4 engine keeping it clean. It will gradually turn black but not as fast as euro2 n 3 emission. It's cleaner so taking longer period, so even when it turn black, still ok to drive what. U dun expect it to turn black so fast after 1k. Why juz can't u accept my reasoning? Everything i says, u will disagree. R u biased against the brand or me? Or would u kindly give me a better explanation on how it works? I'm not a mechanic or engineer but i try my best to share with u my experience with euro4 emission of my car and thru my research. Extracts from the engine oil research recommended to warmup, manufacturer say no need. This i cannot answer u. Both got their own reasonings. How la deh?

aiyoh...where got against u?
i m just clarifying as what you say is so contradictory...
and everytime the more i ask, ur reasoning get more n more ludicrous. Razz

i expected u all to know far more than us mah....especially since u are selling the car....

MXF
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MXF on Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:51 pm

omd2k wrote:Even the mechanics would recommend to warmup before moving off. That is of coz if in the morning where the engine is v cold...if daytime, stop n park then move off of coz no need to warmup. If i dun warm up my stilo, the rpm will be v high in the morning, do u notice that jap cars temp is slightly below 90 degrees and european is abt 100 degrees, the hotter the better. Do anyone really read thru the manual thoroughly to know the car?

hmm......interesting.....2 house of thoughts here....
guys....anyone can verify which is the more appropriate recommendation?

eh....we should not read the manual?

MXF
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ckboon on Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:07 am

MXF wrote:
omd2k wrote:Even the mechanics would recommend to warmup before moving off. That is of coz if in the morning where the engine is v cold...if daytime, stop n park then move off of coz no need to warmup. If i dun warm up my stilo, the rpm will be v high in the morning, do u notice that jap cars temp is slightly below 90 degrees and european is abt 100 degrees, the hotter the better. Do anyone really read thru the manual thoroughly to know the car?

hmm......interesting.....2 house of thoughts here....
guys....anyone can verify which is the more appropriate recommendation?

eh....we should not read the manual?

I can't remember manual say anything about warming up. I prefer to warm up a bit before driving in the morning & after work.
ckboon

Number of posts : 21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MXF on Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:09 am

ckboon wrote:I can't remember manual say anything about warming up. I prefer to warm up a bit before driving in the morning & after work.

got ah..... study

i oso read in papers that says nowadays cars....if u warm up idling...it is actually quite bad for the engine..... scratch

MXF
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

MXF

Post  omd2k on Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:23 am

I although doing sales cannot be pao ka liao mah. Also i dun own more cars than u. Those issues i not sure, i do research and share with the bros here...not many drivers go into so detailed. Those i mentioned abt the engine oil is taken from Car Bibles : The Engine Oil Bible. Your Amsoil is mentioned. Check it out. Salesman r not superman. My encounter with jap salesman was he only asked" u want manual or auto"? and without telling me the specs, he had sold the car to me liao. Different standards huh? Those were the kuku days of getting a new car...last time only can afford to buy coe cars. Crying or Very sad Expectations r of coz higher when it comes to conti n performance cars, customers tend to be quite picky and knowledgable. I dun blame u but we r all here to share. I also learn from u guys. Cheers

omd2k

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  omd2k on Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:26 am

MXF wrote:
ckboon wrote:I can't remember manual say anything about warming up. I prefer to warm up a bit before driving in the morning & after work.

got ah..... study

i oso read in papers that says nowadays cars....if u warm up idling...it is actually quite bad for the engine..... scratch

Warmup is usually not more than 5 mins. Once the rpm drops to 1000, can go liao....not until the temp bar rises.

omd2k

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ix_luv on Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:33 am

MXF wrote:
alex2405 wrote:Castrol Edge 5w40 i think..

yup. they are using Castrol Edge.
eh...omd2k....what has Euro IV got to do with the engine oil?
euro IV emission is for the exhaust and meant mainly for diesel engine, we are having the petrol version of the engine and my query is on the engine and engine oil.
so what has Euro IV got to do with it?

I am still unsure at whether the stock oil in the engine is mineral oil or synthetic oil...anyone has any idea?
or anyone chged oil at 1K? then u might know whether stock oil is mineral or synthetic?

scratch

Even For my bravo (NA), I prefer to do the kiasee style...at 3k, I went to AC to do a oil change using the recommended selenia fully syn oil. If the instructions Manual is correct, their stock oil in the engine is using selenia too. The previous chief tech from TTS, Mr Teo also concurred on this...its a fully syn oil...dats why we are supposedly able to use it till 10k for the first oil change.

ix_luv

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-03-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MXF on Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:36 am

omd2k wrote:I although doing sales cannot be pao ka liao mah. Also i dun own more cars than u. Those issues i not sure, i do research and share with the bros here...not many drivers go into so detailed. Those i mentioned abt the engine oil is taken from Car Bibles : The Engine Oil Bible. Your Amsoil is mentioned. Check it out. Salesman r not superman. My encounter with jap salesman was he only asked" u want manual or auto"? and without telling me the specs, he had sold the car to me liao. Different standards huh? Those were the kuku days of getting a new car...last time only can afford to buy coe cars. Crying or Very sad Expectations r of coz higher when it comes to conti n performance cars, customers tend to be quite picky and knowledgable. I dun blame u but we r all here to share. I also learn from u guys. Cheers

Razz omd2k.....my experience with u is....u tend to get v defensive too.
i'm not insulting nor attacking u lah...i'm just highlighting that you have some questionable words/points.

i applaud u for never stopping to try to explain though....
this is what i call "healthy exchange"

my take is why compare with the worst?
if u compare with the SEs of Borne* Mot**s, of coz u all are far better.
different....my expectations of a niche car market SE is one who knows more...tats why he is choosing to sell or wants to sell a niche market car....

i agree with u....we cannot know everything.... Razz

MXF
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MXF on Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:39 am

ix_luv wrote:Even For my bravo (NA), I prefer to do the kiasee style...at 3k, I went to AC to do a oil change using the recommended selenia fully syn oil. If the instructions Manual is correct, their stock oil in the engine is using selenia too. The previous chief tech from TTS, Mr Teo also concurred on this...its a fully syn oil...dats why we are supposedly able to use it till 10k for the first oil change.

good information, bro.......thanks a million!
when u did it at 3K...how was the oil quality when drained out?

MXF
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  omd2k on Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:42 am

ix_luv wrote:
MXF wrote:
alex2405 wrote:Castrol Edge 5w40 i think..

yup. they are using Castrol Edge.
eh...omd2k....what has Euro IV got to do with the engine oil?
euro IV emission is for the exhaust and meant mainly for diesel engine, we are having the petrol version of the engine and my query is on the engine and engine oil.
so what has Euro IV got to do with it?

I am still unsure at whether the stock oil in the engine is mineral oil or synthetic oil...anyone has any idea?
or anyone chged oil at 1K? then u might know whether stock oil is mineral or synthetic?

scratch

Even For my bravo (NA), I prefer to do the kiasee style...at 3k, I went to AC to do a oil change using the recommended selenia fully syn oil. If the instructions Manual is correct, their stock oil in the engine is using selenia too. The previous chief tech from TTS, Mr Teo also concurred on this...its a fully syn oil...dats why we are supposedly able to use it till 10k for the first oil change.

Wah so kiasu...selenia i know is the best engine oil and is from italy but if servicing all use selenia will be v costly. This is something posted from another forum:

posted on 26-Apr-07 14:51 [edited 0 times] [edit] [delete]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I Just Change my Engine Oil to Selenia Racing (Try out). Really boost the
pick-up for my Waja 1.6(A). especially when overtaking and also smoother
run. Need to monitor longer along the way. Initailly i used Shell Helix
Ultra, but that time i dont feel any different. later on i change to Elf
engine oil, then i feel that the engine is smoother than before.

I thought maybe is my feel, so i decided to change back to Shell Helix
Ultra again. Then i realise its really make a difference, on the pick up
and the smoothnest of the engine is not there, when step hard on the oil,
the car wont pick up that fast just like the car is pulling some kind of
load.

The Selenia Racing seems perform lots more better, will try few time more
to see the performance. FC wise is also comparable with Elf oil that i've
use before. when I use Shell, full tank able to run 600KM (max) average
580KM, For Elf, max 640km average (630km) almost comparable with the
Selenia Racing average (640-650KM)

Any one using this Selenia Racing, can share your experience?
---------------
Regards Efren4778

omd2k

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MXF on Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:43 am

wow..another good info...thanks omd2k.....
Razz

MXF
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  omd2k on Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:47 am

MXF wrote:
omd2k wrote:I although doing sales cannot be pao ka liao mah. Also i dun own more cars than u. Those issues i not sure, i do research and share with the bros here...not many drivers go into so detailed. Those i mentioned abt the engine oil is taken from Car Bibles : The Engine Oil Bible. Your Amsoil is mentioned. Check it out. Salesman r not superman. My encounter with jap salesman was he only asked" u want manual or auto"? and without telling me the specs, he had sold the car to me liao. Different standards huh? Those were the kuku days of getting a new car...last time only can afford to buy coe cars. Crying or Very sad Expectations r of coz higher when it comes to conti n performance cars, customers tend to be quite picky and knowledgable. I dun blame u but we r all here to share. I also learn from u guys. Cheers

Razz omd2k.....my experience with u is....u tend to get v defensive too.
i'm not insulting nor attacking u lah...i'm just highlighting that you have some questionable words/points.

i applaud u for never stopping to try to explain though....
this is what i call "healthy exchange"

my take is why compare with the worst?
if u compare with the SEs of Borne* Mot**s, of coz u all are far better.
different....my expectations of a niche car market SE is one who knows more...tats why he is choosing to sell or wants to sell a niche market car....

i agree with u....we cannot know everything.... Razz

Thanks for ur compliment. But they r the top brand in sg and u mentioned the worst? Although i somehow agree with the thai car. Mine was from mit...shi

omd2k

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  omd2k on Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:52 am

MXF wrote:wow..another good info...thanks omd2k.....
Razz
Another feedback

posted on 26-May-07 15:10 [edited 0 times] [edit] [delete]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hi,
i have used the selenia 20k for more than the guaranteed 20,00km range in
my peugeot 806 and 405. very good, and still no apparent bubbling during
discharging. only the problem of my mechanic is hard to get any stock for
this oil. apart from that, it beats other oil.

zulfa

omd2k

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MXF on Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:54 am

zulfa might be the importer of the oil? Razz Razz Razz

MXF
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

For all to share

Post  omd2k on Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:01 am

Oil. An essential ingredient for healthy motoring.

What does engine oil do for my Fiat?
Engine oil performs three basic roles.

It coats the moving parts of your engine, preventing wear and damage
It cleans the engine of debris and build-ups, scrubbing them through the oil filter
It transfers internal heat away from the engine, radiating it into the air for cooling.

Why do I need to check the oil level?
Maintaining the correct level and grade of oil is vital to your car running properly. Too much oil can be just as damaging to your engine as having too little.

How do I check the oil level?

Refer to your Fiat Owner's Manual for full instructions.

Ensure that your car is parked on flat, level ground and is switched off
Check the oil either first thing in the morning, or after letting your car stand with the engine switched off for at least 5 minutes
Open your car bonnet.
Beware that the engine may be hot if it has been running recently
Locate the engine oil dipstick, with its yellow handle (it will be labelled with a small 'oil can' symbol). If you cannot locate it, check your Fiat Owner's Manual
Slowly remove the dipstick, and wipe it clean using a clean cloth or paper towel
Now 'dip the stick' by re-inserting the dipstick all the way back down into its sheath
Remove the dipstick again and check how far the oil has reached
The oil level should always lie between the dipstick's Minimum and Maximum marks.
If your oil level is at or below Minimum
Never top-up with (i.e. mix) oils of different specifications to those already used in your car. Selenia oil top-up packs are available from your authorised Fiat Dealer.

Do not top-up your oil level beyond the Maximum mark. If the oil level gets above the Maximum mark, contact your authorised Fiat Dealer to have the correct level restored.

Repeat the following steps until the oil level is between the Minimum and Maximum marks. As a guide, the interval between the Minimum and Maximum marks represents around one litre of oil:

Remove the oil filler cap, near the Fiat logo on top of the engine
Pour in a small amount of oil at a time
Allow the oil to settle for a few minutes each time
Re-check the oil level each time.
When the oil level is correct, replace and tighten the oil filler cap

omd2k

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  teoky on Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:24 am

From my personal experience, it is actually very bad to warm up your engine by idling, especially if you rev the engine to warm it up faster.

For those who still remember, the older cars actually have a choke much like motorcycles. I have a old uncle neighbour who owned a E200 Kompressor (current version). Every morning, before moving off, he will start the engine and rev like maybe 2 - 3k rpm and hold it there. Unfortunately, he didn't realise that technology has improved and you no longer need to do such thing to warm up the engine anymore, I guess he still stuck in the old world. Anyway, bottom line is he didn't do the engine any favour as it actually sounds like a diesel engine idling and even when moving off ! It is damn noisy !

Just start the car, move off immediately but keep your rpm low. The car should warm up in less than 5 min.

teoky
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 82

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  overboost on Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:13 pm

Guys, no need change oil every 5000km waste money. 1st, it is unlikely you will keep the car for 10 years. 2nd, synthetic oil does not break down unlike mineral oil.

Euro IV emissions is not just for diesel engines, petrol engines too. 8-9 yrs ago, BMWs were already running 20000km service intervals.

I had a Volvo T5 souped up near 300bhp before. 20000km to 130000km with 15000km service intervals. No problems - except for turbo oil seal. Today the owner has in NZ has about 250000km on the clock and engine still runs strong.

5000km IMHO is only really required if you drive like a mad man everyday.

Also, as long the oil is manufactured by a renown oil manufacturer, it is ok. Castrol, Mobil, Shell, etc. I swear by Mobil 1.

Some brands never hear before better don't try. Snake oils... at your own risk. They sometimes clog up your oil filter and that's bad.

Anyways to each his own. Cheers!

overboost

Number of posts : 28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  overboost on Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:14 pm

teoky wrote:From my personal experience, it is actually very bad to warm up your engine by idling, especially if you rev the engine to warm it up faster.

For those who still remember, the older cars actually have a choke much like motorcycles. I have a old uncle neighbour who owned a E200 Kompressor (current version). Every morning, before moving off, he will start the engine and rev like maybe 2 - 3k rpm and hold it there. Unfortunately, he didn't realise that technology has improved and you no longer need to do such thing to warm up the engine anymore, I guess he still stuck in the old world. Anyway, bottom line is he didn't do the engine any favour as it actually sounds like a diesel engine idling and even when moving off ! It is damn noisy !

Just start the car, move off immediately but keep your rpm low. The car should warm up in less than 5 min.

That's true! Only carb engines need warm up!

overboost

Number of posts : 28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum